OCEAN SWIM CLUB
The time for Progression has come - get excited! In 2017/2018 I want to introduce everyone to ocean swimming. Don't stress, I am confident that all you folk from the stroke correction lane to the advanced lane are able and ready.
I am very aware and appreciate that most people are a little fearful of the ocean so for the first couple of weeks here’s what you can expect:
- Beginners: Slowly acclimatising to surf conditions i.e. treading water, short swims staying together in a tight group, learning how to go under waves and return to shore safely. Basically building confidence in surf conditions. Easy!
- Advanced: Mixture of short half bay swims, in/outs, catching waves and “wading” skills (how toget out through the break fast and in front of the rest of the “pack”).
Increase your Ocean awareness + Skills through my 30 odd years of knowledge and competitive experience.
We will learn everything from how to:
- swim safe in the ocean and feel comfortable (a first for many, don’t worry you are NOT alone)
- identify a rip
- use a rip current to your advantage
- swim in choppy conditions
- spot “buoys” or “cans” in ocean swim races to stay on course
- use a slip stream (swimming on people toes to help you go faster with less effort)
- identify sand banks
- catch waves, body surf
This season pass also entitles you to attend ESC’s Thursday "Run Swim Run” class at 6am Bronte for the length of the Ocean Swim Classes for free.
Dates: 2, 9, 16 Dec + 13, 20, 27 Jan
Time: 7:30am - 8:30am
Location: North Bondi
I will keep on an eye on the surf forecast regularly. If conditions are ever going to be dangerous I will move the class (via email on Thur or Fri) to Clovelly Bay where it’s very protected and safe. So there will be no reason for any weeks to be cancelled.